CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Super Mario Birthday Party

Happy 5th birthday to my sweet Savannah-banana!  It's safe to say Savannah is a bit Mario-obsessed, even commenting on his handsomeness.  So we didn't really have a choice on birthday theme this year.  I brainstormed the design of her party invite by printing off some Mario clipart to see what we could do with it.  When she started playing with them like paper dolls, I wondered what she would do if I put her face on Princess Peach.  And there we have it.  I popped Mario and the mushroom with 3-D foam squares, stickled it up, and the back has the party information and gold coins.
For a crafty person, I struggle in the kitchen so when there's an occasion when cupcakes will do, I jump on it!  The red/green mushrooms in the video game made the easiest cupcakes ever.  Thank God!  The only commercially marketed Mario do-dads I could find were these two candy tins at Michael's.  For an impromptu center piece, I turned my cupcake carrier upside down and cut off some ribbon from the balloon bouquet.  Weak, but it did the job...

As summer approaches, Michael's puts out the bulk items for camps and Bible schools.  I got red (Mario), green (Luigi), and black (the bad guys, Waluigi and Wario) for just over a buck each.  You have to be quick because as the 4th of July approaches, the red caps become really hard to find.  I hot-glued a white felt circle with puffy-painted letters for each cap.  However, if you want to be 100% authentic, the puffy paint should be the same color as the cap.  As for the mustaches, PaRtY cItY, baby!  I love that place.  I got the 'staches on clearance right after Cinco de Mayo, but there is a year-round "Fiesta" themed section that also has them.  (This is my soon to be 7 year-old.)

The party was held at Kidz Play in Winchester, VA. It's an AWESOME place with a variety of climbing/bouncing structures as well as some Little Tyke action for the little ones.  That's the birthday girl (AKA Princess Peach) on the middle of the plank.  (And just in case you're wondering, their basic party package is OVER $100 cheaper than Pump It Up's in Leesburg.)

Mommy and Savannah-  For a baby with a rough beginning, look at you now!  I can't wait to see what the next 5 years has in store for you.  Who said the middle child doesn't get any attention?  : )